Monday, August 17, 2009

Yellowstone National Park: Day II, Part I

2009-07-19: I awoke early the next morning and was pleased to see that I had not received a ticket or citation for parking overnight. I checked if any trails were suitable for a day's hike, and if I would still be able to see all of the famous landmarks in the park after hiking. I decided I would not be able to see all that I wanted to unless I omitted any back country hiking, and I did not want to try my luck with the park authorities (and possibly lose my national pass!) by staying another day. Later, on the way out, I noted that the camps were all still marked as full, so waiting for an open camp was not an option. There were many small things to see - a roadside waterfall here or there, a bald eagle perched atop its nest, colourful flowers lining the highway… But I had a map and a few things in mind, and with a little hustling I was able to get to nearly everything. Some of the things I saw included an eruption of Old Faithful, and its surrounding geysers and hot springs (many of which contained boiling water!), the Norris Geyser Basin (where my favourite geyser, the Green Dragon Spring, which hisses and roars and blows steam, can be found), Mammoth Lake, Upper and Lower Yellowstone Falls, and of course, the Grand Prismatic Spring. When I had arrived at the Grand Prismatic Spring, dark storm clouds came roaring over the mountains. The thunder echoed off their stone peaks across the valley. I made my way out of the park through the storm, bound for the green valleys of Montana.

No comments:

Post a Comment