Monday, January 25, 2010

Redwood National Park - Elk Prairie Campground

2009-07-28: I missed the campground by a few miles since my GPS directed me to the Kuchel Visitor Centre. I had no problem with that, as I was able to gather informational material and facts regarding the redwood forests. California has so much to do, whatever you might be interested in. I hoped preparation would make it all manageable. The visitor centre was built near a marshy lagoon on the coast. I planned to return the next day on the way to San Francisco. I went back to the campground, set up camp, and made certain that everything was bear resistant. Many animals were present there, obviously accustomed to the presence of humans. Deer and elk wandered through the meadows, and Steller's jays waited for food to be dropped or left alone. I spent the evening relaxing, keeping off of my still sore feet. The next day, I discovered a blackberry bush near my campsite, and I had recall the park rule specifically saying consumption of berries is permitted. The berries were about the size of a ping-pong ball. They were plentiful, and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment