Thursday, October 28, 2010

Monterey » Morro Bay, CA

2009-08-01: It turned out that the water in Monterey was too cold for a pleasant swim. The air temperature was a constant 60 degrees and it was raining much of the time. Having no well-defined schedule, I decided to go to a town called Morro Bay, around 100 miles south - surely the temperature would be warmer there, I thought. I could also travel via California State Highway 1. I think it has to be one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world - if not, I cannot imagine what landscape could render it mundane.

Unfortunately, the waters of Morro Bay were just as chilly as those in Monterey, so swimming was still not a good option. I had to make a decision there. I was around the right latitude for my next major destination (the Grand Canyon), but, I could also continue some 350 miles south to San Diego, a destination which I had marked as tentative. Eventually I decided to skip southern California, rationalizing the decision by assuming I'd have some reason to visit the area at some point in the future. Thus, I left the fogbound coast and made for the interior desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment