Sunday, August 26, 2012

Travel Notes: Grand Canyon Nat'l Park » Dead Horse Ranch State Park

2009-08-02: Satisfied with my glimpse into the foundations of our planet, I left Grand Canyon National Park to retire for the day. My destination was Dead Horse Ranch State Park. There I ran into a bit of danger, though it was unfortunately somewhat mundane.

It was around 9:00 PM when I arrived. The desert moon was brightly shining above. Agile bats swooped and flitted around the few lights, looking as if they were tethered to the lamp posts. I began to set up my tent in the dust-filled haze of my halogen lights when I noticed eyes looking at me from behind and to my left. There stood a dog with a broken or unfastened leash, growling aggressively. My hand flashed to my Buck knife and my adrenaline began to flow. I bellowed "NO!" and "LIE DOWN!" at the animal but it would not back down. Nor did it come closer. In the camp from which it came, a trailer was parked, and its compressor and its TV made it unlikely that its occupants heard me.

I tried staring the dog down but it would not move. I almost wanted it to come after me so the tension could be released. Still it did not move. I decided I had to get my tent set up so I could get to sleep. So I had to face the dog at all times, and try to set up my tent. It was difficult but I got it done with creative use of my one free hand. Then I had to walk to the showers, backwards, in the dark, and it did not follow. Once I got into my tent I could hear it growling but I do not think it entered my camp at any time. Dog owners need to be far more responsible than many of them choose to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment