Sunday, August 26, 2012

Oak Creek Canyon » Albuquerque, NM




2009-08-03: Here was a pleasant drive up and up through the canyon, on narrow, winding, shady roads. I had to wait until I got to the top to finally capture some of the breathtaking scenery. Then I made for Albuquerque. The desert was open, vast, empty, and all under an ash grey sky. Wind-carved rock formations could be viewed occasionally, some along the road, and some very far off. I made it into the city just before dusk and headed toward UNM, since I knew it would be a good place to find some food. I took an enchilada break at El Patio de Albuquerque, which is the sort of place that caters to students and vegans, and it was just great. Busy, vibrant, crowded but in a homey sort of way, and of course delicious. Then I prepared to get some needed rest, but I noticed a stunning sunset and drove to the east side of the valley as quickly as I could. Does this sunset not resemble the state flag of Arizona?

No comments:

Post a Comment