Saturday, September 1, 2012

Travel Notes: Albuquerque » Carlsbad Caverns National Park

2009-08-04: My departure from Albuquerque was under turbulent grey skies, just as when I had arrived. The open desert had a very strange appearance when shaded by clouds, forming a flat ceiling as far as one could see. I planned to stop in Roswell and perhaps buy a humorous t-shirt. Something like "Roswell Airlines: Crash Free Since 1947." Unfortunately, the town turned out to be a run down town on the decline, slowly evaporating in the heat. There were some tourist-oriented shops but none had what I was looking for. Onward then, to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. The terrain along the highway was mostly flat scrub desert, but as I approached the park the terrain became more rugged and interesting. The clouds had passed as well. I was full of excitement, ready to descend into the depths of the earth for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment