Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Travel Notes: Bird Island » Beaumont, TX

2009-08-12: I left Bird Island Basin somewhat early and intended to get into Louisiana, or as close to it as possible. I made a short stop in Rockport, where my former employers maintained a second home, and sent them a postcard. I did not stay long enough to get an impression of the town, but it seemed quiet and close to the water, both good things.

My route would take me through Houston. Travel to the city was easy, and the landscape was mostly unremarkable - flat and dry, as one would expect from the southeast hinterland of Texas. I arrived in Houston just before dusk, and rush hour traffic made it a chaotic and difficult challenge. I did not stop there but the city did seem somewhat worn down, as viewed from the expressway. On the east side of the city, some of the shipyards and associated machinery were visible, and that was interesting to see.

I made it as far as the town of Beaumont before sleepiness required that I stop for the day. I found a highway rest stop and tried to sleep. Unfortunately, the air was mostly still, and the temperature was in the high 80s and humidity was extremely high. I was soaked with sweat but eventually cooled down from it, and managed to sleep. A week later, I happened to hear that a tornado had appeared near where I'd slept and had torn up some shopping centers.

No comments:

Post a Comment