Sunday, July 26, 2009

Crazy Horse Memorial, SD

2009-07-17: Leaving the Badlands, I continued west along the interstate toward Custer State Park. I decided to visit the Crazy Horse Memorial. So far I have been opposed to visiting private attractions, as most of the time they are overpriced and somewhat underwhelming. But Crazy Horse is a special case. It is designed to be a monument to all Native Americans. When asked where his lands are, Crazy Horse supposedly replied, "My lands are where my people lie buried." This monument embodies that ideal. This project, of which only some parts have been completed, is being managed by the family of the sculptor who designed the monument itself. They have turned down government grants of millions of dollars, citing "private enterprise" to be the American way (it's always so easy for talented artists to say that). I fear that it may be centuries before the monument is finished. However, the Native Americans, as a people, have a long memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment