Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sundance, WY » Devil's Tower, WY

2009-07-18: En route to Devil's Tower, I intended to take the quick path. I missed the exit, or maybe there was no exit. So, I ended up going the long way around. The rural areas in between the Tower and the interstate (such as Carlile) were hilly and partially forested. I saw no one aside from fellow travelers.
 
Devil's Tower is a strange object. It looks completely out of place. Geologically, its existence makes sense, but that does not make it easier for the human instinct to accept. It is a sacred place to all Native American tribes in the region. Their holy men hang colourful prayer cloths and small pouches from the surrounding trees.
 
I was amazed that people were climbing up between the columns of this massive thing. I can only imagine what it feels like to stand atop it. I wonder if the descent is more difficult than the ascent.
 
The surrounding forest was a bright, peaceful place. One can hear the cries of eagles that nest on the mountaintop.

1 comment:

  1. The peacefulness of this place sounds like something that you would thoroughly enjoy Kevin. I love your descriptions in the way that you word things!

    ReplyDelete