Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Nairn Falls Provincial Park

2009-07-23: Canada's Sea to Sky Highway had a uniquely wild look to it. As I drove along it, following the winding road back and forth, going up and down the hills, black storms thundered across the region. I looked up at a high, rocky precipice and saw a bolt of lightning viciously strike a tree. Smaller rocks tumbled down the slope. It seems that it is a constantly changing landscape. Chinook helicopters, some with buckets attached, constantly flew overhead. CBC radio reported that firefighters had been battling a massive wildfire; luckily it was not a threat to the area I was in. I watched one of the helicopters dip a bucket into a lake and fly away over the mountains. About 50 miles north of Vancouver, I found a small provincial park called Nairn Falls, and decided it would be a good place to camp. I walked along a noisy, cold and fast river to visit the falls here. Minerals dissolved in the river gave it an odd, milky appearance. The forest trail opened up into an area of solid rock, which had to be climbed to get to the viewpoint for the falls. I made my way forward and took a few photos, taking care not to slip on the smooth rock. The drinking water here was excellent; I enjoyed it so much that I dumped out what I had and filled up my bottles with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment