Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merchants Millpond State Park, NC

2009-08-26: The adjuster had inspected my vehicle but had not indicated if it was to be determined a total loss. I went to collect my things because I was tired of waiting. I picked up my rental car and moved everything into it. Then I went to remove some audio equipment and the tow truck owner told me I couldn't do that, as they'd hold him responsible for its absence. I was absolutely sick of the entire process so took my stuff and got away from all of it.

I went instead to Merchants Millpond State Park. I had the entire park to myself from the time I arrived. The solitude was quite enjoyable. Apparently the park is little used, and I wondered if it was still considered open. I discovered this when the ranger came to collect the camping fee sometime in the dark of night. Usually this is done in the morning. He was surprised to see anyone here, especially myself as I stumbled from my tent in my underwear and dug out the cash. The insects were waiting here too, though exhaustion finally allowed sleep. The next morning, I had no idea what I'd be doing next, but being that I'd lost my car, there was little more to do until I was able to purchase a new vehicle, or, if it was repairable, wait for that to be done. Either way I was done here. I had the drive back to Illinois remaining, and I thought, this could be the beginning of the end. I took a walk to clear my mind of frustration as much as I could, and I encountered this interesting amphibian.

No comments:

Post a Comment