Sunday, December 2, 2012

Southern Introspection

In the South, I had realized my journey had taken on a different theme from my experiences in the west. The natural things were easier to understand, as they're similar to things I am familiar with, but people were significantly more difficult to relate to. I began to think I had more in common with Canadians than with southerners. This isn't to say that it's better or worse. It's simply the way it is. I realized that my writing and thinking began to change. Philosophical musings were replaced by culture shock. I've been told the South is clannish, and I really think that is the best word. It was entirely new to me, and while I hadn't yet had any direct experiences with the clannishness of individuals, it was always there, just under the surface, and I'd pick up a hint of it here and there. I cannot really qualify it other than to say it's like being in a foreign country. It's...strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment