Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Outer Banks, NC

2009-08-21: The barrier island of North Carolina seemed to have much to offer, from shipwreck museums and sandy beaches to rivers and swampland. The area certainly catered to the stereotypical tourist, but there was plenty to do if that is not what you like, as myself. I could travel in any direction but which I came. I decided to investigate the area near the town of Kill Devil Hills.

I found a public beach and decided this would be the time I'd finally brave the ocean. Hurricane Bill, or whatever was left of it, was out at sea still causing some enormous waves. I thought I could watch and learn as other swimmers made their way through the steadily incoming currents. I waded out into the invigoratingly cold water, and waited as one of these waves approached. I jumped up, attempting to ride up with it...and was promptly slammed with a wall of water. I tried so many different methods, but whether I tried to slice through the wave or stand firm or alter my timing, I was battered and losing ground, being forced back toward the shore. Finally, a monstrous wave came roaring in, and I looked up as it swept me up with twice the force of anything previous. I lost my balance and was carried back to shallow water; I skidded along the sandy bottom and was deposited face first. I got up, rinsed off, and the stares from other beach-goers made me realize I really did it all wrong. No matter though. I tried. So I changed back into dry clothes and took a walk. Much of the day was ahead of me and the weather was warm and breezy.

In 2011, I saw reports that Hurricane Irene had destroyed many of the roads and homes in this area.






No comments:

Post a Comment