Thursday, January 31, 2013

Acadia National Park » Fundy National Park, New Brunswick

2009-10-09: It would be a long drive to Fundy National Park. I was not sure what to expect in eastern Canada, but like everything I'd done so far, the only way to find out was to go. More than anything, I was not looking forward to the border crossing. Rural Maine proved to be beautiful as well as windswept and chilly. There was little but lakes and fields and forests between Acadia and the border.

As in British Columbia, I chose to be honest about the fact that I was still carrying bear spray, and I declared so at the border. The usual interview questions were put forth, and when the guard appeared to be becoming skeptical, I said that I'd been in BC a few months back and they were OK with it. This also let them know I had not caused any trouble last time I was in the country. They checked the facts and I was let through with little additional hassle.

I passed through St. John, and while it did not appear to have anything special about it, it was not unpleasant. Eventually the roads started looking very desolate and worn down. I arrived at Fundy just before a storm did, late that night. I had some Canadian currency left from last time, so that saved a little time. The clerk even discounted my fee since it was so late. I prepared to set up my tent, and then the rain began. I chose not to bother with the tent. I was a bit bored so I decided to check out the campground during a break in the rain. It wasn't crowded but it was teeming with activity. There was something like a common building full of people, some with guitars and other interesting things. I assumed they were part of a group of some sort, so I declined to check it out. I went back to my car, dried off, and crawled under my blankets and tried to warm up.




No comments:

Post a Comment