Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New York City - Part II

2009-10-04: My friend had things to do before we left, so I took the late morning through evening to explore Manhattan on foot. The train out of Brooklyn was even more filthy than the Chicago 'L' but I had anticipated that. When I got to Manhattan, everything seemed much better maintained, though in a place as busy and populous as NYC, that does not necessarily amount to much. Even in Manhattan, there were huge piles of bagged garbage sitting on the sidewalk.

In New York, there is something going on everywhere you look. Everywhere where you can walk, people are walking. The streets are choked with them. It was Sunday, so perhaps that affected volume. I began on the very busy Canal St. in Chinatown. I explored the area for a time, then decided to head north. From there I went southwest from around 68th St. toward Times Square via 5th Ave. Most of the stores and businesses that I saw were the same as one would see anywhere else, just built on more expensive property.

Finally I arrived in Times Square, and quite honestly, I have no idea what the appeal is. There is a lot of advertising on large signs and screens, but it's the same stuff as seen everywhere. The businesses here are all large chain stores that one would find in any shopping mall of sufficient size. I guess I can say I have been there, so that's something. I left that behind and decided to start heading back. I cut down Broadway and went to Columbus Circle. Dusk was just approaching as I cut through Central Park. I was not sure what to expect. The "TV version" was always threatening and dark. I found it tranquil and well-lit. Even though it was getting dark, no one seemed to care. The paths could be confusing, but I made it through and took the train back to Brooklyn.

Overall, I think New York City has a lot to offer. Even if one does not care for the city overall due to its dirtiness and crowding, it is full of great things. Some of the architecture was amazing. If I had more time I would have visited some of its esteemed museums. I planned to return at some point, but with more focus.










No comments:

Post a Comment