Thursday, January 31, 2013

White Mountains, NH » Crescent Beach State Park, ME » Portland, ME

2009-10-07: Wet and cold, my friend said matter-of-factly that if the rain was going to continue, she'd prefer to head home. I certainly understood. This was no weather for camping. It was more of a test of will. The rain was supposed to continue, so we decided to get to the closest bus terminal we knew of, in Portland, Maine.

The rain was still pouring down as I prepared to break camp. I stripped down to my shorts and sandals so that I would have less wet clothing to worry about. I stepped out of the tent and was soaked in a minute. The experience was certainly invigorating once I adjusted to the cold - the temperature was in the 40s.

The rain continued as we headed east. It also helped form some stunning scenery. We were stopping constantly to view it. Eventually we came down from the mountains and drove easily toward Portland. Both of us decided we'd like to see the Atlantic from Maine, and we detoured to Cape Elizabeth to visit Crescent Beach State Park. The colors of the storm ravaged sea were exactly as I had imagined, with various shades of grey and blue-grey and white.

Finally, we got into Portland and we waited together for the bus that would take my friend back. After some time, it did, and we said our goodbyes. I think she left happy despite the weather. She was glad to get out of the city. And though she is a city dweller, she does have an adventurer's heart. I had to shift my thinking back to how it was for being on my own. I took care of laundry and the like, and then I of course stopped for some fresh lobster and chowder. It was great to see a sign indicating that prices were based on whatever the boats were selling it for. I ask the reader's forgiveness as I failed to make a note of where it was I stopped. Finally, I headed toward Augusta and found a busy, clean, and friendly rest stop where I stayed the night. It was frigid even though I used every blanket I had.











No comments:

Post a Comment