Friday, January 11, 2013

Point Pleasant » Maryland » Virginia

2009-09-27: I was ecstatic to be back on the road in earnest. I came away from Point Pleasant quite ready to move toward my next destination on the rough map that I had compiled while preparing to return to my travels, which was to be Shenandoah National Park. The roads of West Virginia were scenic and rustic. Some were narrow country roads through overgrown farmland complete with dilapidated gates and collapsed barns, while others run through carved out rock or up and down hills and mountains. In many places, bridges spanned over cold, dark rivers on which the signs of industry were present - barges, power plants, and the like. Many a side road was referred to as a "run", with names such as "Rock Run", "Long Run", and "Coon's Run". They could be seen to climb up the side of some shadowy, wooded hillside, presumably into some hollow back in the hills. The trees were beginning to lose their chlorophyll and autumn was definitely beginning here in these rocky highland forests.

It was a bit far to reach my next destination, however, so I continued along the main roads, looking for somewhere to stop, most likely a highway rest area. As dusk came, I had already found myself in Maryland, still searching. I had found one but it was too early and I did not yet feel like I wanted to stop. It did however offer photographic opportunities. Once back on the road, quite fortunately, a roadside sign informed me that a scenic overlook was nearby. I walked a short distance and found myself overlooking Green Ridge State Forest. These photos say all that needs to be said.

I moved onward well into the foggy night and stopped in Virginia near New Market.





No comments:

Post a Comment