Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Wandering the Mountains Part I - Dark Hollow Falls

2009-09-28: I parked in the paved lot knowing that the trail down to Dark Hollow Falls would be trivial. I grabbed my camera, my hat, and as I always had, my knife. No phone or any such thing would be needed for this short stroll in these damp woods. I glanced at the trail map near the trailhead and briefly noticed another trail, about 4 miles long. An option, I thought. But the first step was to visit the falls that had inspired such a mysterious sounding title. The trail was slick at times but otherwise easily traveled. I climbed down into the little valley, led along by the sound of gently falling water. A graceful, if small, waterfall on the Rose River waited at the bottom of the trail, and there I took the obligatory photographs. Satisfied, I considered that loop trail I thought I had seen on the sign board. It had been a quick trip to the falls, and the forest was beautiful and lush, so why not, I thought. Perhaps I should have rechecked the sign.






No comments:

Post a Comment