Thursday, January 31, 2013

Acadia National Park, ME - Part II

2009-10-09: I began this day by walking down to the nearby cliffs over the Atlantic. The sea was much more calm on this day and was also calming to watch. The forest around the campground had a few unofficial paths through it, and while I was not expecting anything spectacular, it turned out to be very reminiscent of the Pacific Northwest, in that growing things, in particular, moss and lichen, were everywhere. There was a strange pool of water that had a prismatic refraction effect on its surface. I guessed this was caused by some substance from decaying plant matter.

The red squirrels in the area were extremely territorial, chattering loudly and angrily if you approached "their" territory. I was curious how brave they were, so I picked up a cone from one of the trees and flung it gently at one squirrel. It bounced off the animal which then continued to stare me down.

Before I left to head back into Canada, I stopped at a small garden in the park that offered an easy walk and a nice overview of the local plants. I knew there were a few other sites where I might stop, but I was quite tired from not sleeping well the previous night due to the cold.
















No comments:

Post a Comment